Friday, April 29, 2011

Enterprise OSGi in JBoss AS7

As many of you know, I have been working on OSGi support in the JBoss Application Server for the past year now. My colleagues at JBoss/Red Hat and I have built an OSGi Framework from the ground up with as focus the best possible integration with the Application Server.

AS7 has been OSGi-enabled since its Alpha1 release and over the past few weeks Beta's have been pushed out on a bi-weekly basis. It's starting to look really good!

Next week at Red Hat Summit/JBoss World in Boston I'll be presenting and demoing the current state of things w.r.t. to Core OSGi, Enterprise OSGi and OSGi/AS integration in AS7. My session is on Friday at 11am: http://www.redhat.com/summit/sessions/jboss.html#38 - hope to see you there!

2 comments:

  1. Can you explain JBoss relation to OSGI when they're reinventing modules with JBoss Modules and Gavin King used the complexity of OSGI as a justification for Ceylon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gary,

    JBoss Modules is a super fast and super small module system. It's not compliant with any specification and has less features than OSGi but is probably faster because of this reason.
    The JBoss OSGi Framework is implemented on top of JBoss Modules - it adds OSGi Compliance to it if you want to look at it that way.

    Re Ceylon, I don't think it's one size fits all wrt to programming languages and development architectures. I think Ceylon is adding a really interesting new way of developing software that might very well attract a number of developers, however I don't think this immediately invalidates or obsoletes existing technologies - I think it's all up to the choice of the developer: they will pick what they like best.

    Cheers,

    David

    ReplyDelete